home | biography | works | events | reference
1907 Born in Mallow, Co. Cork. Son of James Murphy, a railway employee, and Margaret Sheehan of Little Island, Co. Cork.
1912-1921 Attended St. Patrick's National School, St. Luke's, Cork. Pupil of Daniel Corkery who gave him his first drawing lessons.
1921 Enrolled as a part-time student at the Crawford School of Art, Emmet Place, Cork.
1922-1930 Apprentice stone-carver at John Aloysius O'Connell's Art Marble Works, Watercourse Road, Blackpool. Specialised in architectural and foliage carving. Attended Crawford by night.
1931 Awarded the Gibson Bequest Scholarship Exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy exhibition.
1932-1933 Studied at the Académie Colarossi and at the Académie de la Grande Chaumière. Was befriended by the American-Irish sculptor Andrew O'Connor.
1934 Opened a studio at Watercourse Road, Blackpool, Cork.
1935 Group exhibition, University College, Cork.
1939 Exhibited at World Fair, New York.
1943 Exhibited 'The Virgin of the Twilight' at the Royal Hibernian Academy.
1944 Elected associate of the RHA. Married in Youghal to Maighread Higgins, daughter of sculptor Joseph Higgins (1885-1925) and Katherine Turnbull.
1945 Designed Blackpool Church for William Dwyer.
1950 Published Stone Mad with illustrations by Fergus O'Ryan (Golden Eagle Press), an account of the work of the stone-carvers and stone-cutters with whom he had trained. Republished in a new edition 1966 by Routledge. Re-issued by The Blackstaff Press (Belfast) 1977 et seq; and by The Collins Press (Cork) 2005 et seq.
1954 Elected a full member of the RHA.
1956 Solo exhibition in Cork Public Library.
1964 Appointed RHA Professor of Sculpture.
1967 Joint exhibition with artist William Harrington.
1969 Awarded Honorary LLD by the National University of Ireland.
1973 Appointed to the Arts Council of Ireland. Exhibition in Adare, Co. Limerick.
1975 Exhibited in ROSC, Cork.
1975 Died in Cork. Buried in Rathcooney, Co. Cork.
2013 'Stone Mad' selected as Cork's Favourite Book 2013.
© Artist's Estate